Saturday, February 23, 2008

Cleaning Up

This is going to be a short one.

I had some advice from someone that basically went, "Go and buy and case of spray solvent, like brake cleaner. You'll use it." Well I didn't buy a case. But I bought six cans. I happened to use Brakleen brand. It turned out to be the cheapest. It's what I use all the time anyway, and it does a good job. It's a highly volitol solvent that washed away all the grime and doesn't leave a film or any residue.



They also make a non-chlorinated version that comes in a green can. I don't know if it's actually "greener" in the eco sense, but I assume so. I would have got that, but the store was all out.

I went through 5 cans doing the cleanup of all the parts. I didn't bother cleaning the clutches since those are going in the trash bin anyway. I have 1 can left that will just about do it for cleaning up both cases. So maybe a full case is a bit more than you'll need.

My method was this. My wife was getting rid of an old 8 quart roaster. I sprayed the parts over this pan and let the excess run down into it. When that got about 1/2" of fluid in the bottom I started just rinsing the parts in that. If the part needed a little extra I'd spray some more from the can. I then dried the parts with compressed air using a normal air nozzle. It worked really slick.

After cleaning and drying the parts I put the major subassemblies on the cookie sheets and put them in a plastic garbage bag. It's so dry here in Colorado I don't really worry about the parts rusting in this situation. If I were somewhere else where there's more humidity I'd probably dunk the parts in some fresh transmission fluid before wrapping them up.

I spent the better part of a Sunday doing this. It is a littel time-consuming. But cleanliness is the key. Remember: no lint in the transmission!

Here's the major subassemblies, all wrapped up, just waiting for the UPS truck to come with new parts.



That's about it for the cleanup. Next: the "brown truck" comes with the new parts.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey joel, how do you seperate the front and rear clutch hubs? i see a snao ring in the front hub but cant get it out. any help would be cool. thanks for the blog...

Joel Jennings said...

Um, I guess I'm not quite sure what you mean here. There's about a zillion snap rings in this unit. Could you snap a pick and send it to me? joel (at) joelsgarage.net I'd be happy to try and help. Basically, though, you've got to remove the snap ring. That's the keys to the kingdom.