Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Mr. Delivery Man Arrives in a Van

The new parts have arrived! And it's a couple of big boxes-worth. I ordered the majority of the parts from Performance Automotive and Transmission Center in Bossier City, LA. They seemed to have everything I was looking for and a mostly-decent price.

I ordered one special tool I couldn't locate anywhere else from Transmission Parts USA out of Fort Myers, FL.

I ordered 20 quarts of universal ATF from AmsOil. I've been using AmsOil products for about 10 years now and really like them. Part of what hurts so bad about this rebuild is that I had 20 quarts of the same stuff in the pan with only about 5000 miles on it. $100 worth of fluid down the drain (so to speak)! At any rate, there's lots of discussion about what fluid is best. I'm not going to enter into that. I like the AmsOil. It's worked marvelously for me.

I ordered some hose and associated AN fittings from Summit Racing to replace a leaking cooler line I installed last summer. I'm no doubt disappointed to be replacing a custom hydraulic line I had made. But I think this new setup will be superior in configuration and use.

I still need to go down to my local Dodge dealer and get a couple of pieces for the shift linkage. I found a couple of really worn plastic bushings the last time I had the transmission out (last summer). I "rigged" it to work then, but I'd really like it to work right now.

I thought about photographing all the parts and listing here what I got. But I thought again and decided to detail the parts in the specific rebuild sections, then, at the end of the this blog cycle, compile a complete list of the parts I used as well as any special tools.

Here is a little teaser though. This is just the gaskets, seals, and o-rings in the rebuild kit.



I laid all these pieces out in order (sort-of) on the hood of the Dog. That way, I can locate the next piece I need quick and easy.

You'll also notice at the upper center of the photo is the thrust washer kit laid out. And to the right of that is the new bushing kit.

That's all for now. Next: the rebuild starts with reassembling the governor! (I've decided to start with the tail section since (so I've heard) it needs to be in place in order to measure the total play at the input shaft of the main case.)


2 comments:

Alex said...

Do you have the part numbers for the thrust washer kit, bushing kit, seals, and clutch packs from PATC?

Joel Jennings said...

I'm sorry Alex. I don't.